Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On the Day of Jeff's Funeral

A stark glint of mean sun reflected off the overcast sky.  Surreal.  The situation did not exist.  Someone misdiagnosed Jeff's death.  My little boys were at home with my mother.  I didn't know the protocol for burying a husband.  Well, in the case of Jeff's family, it was indeterminable who would remain composed and who'd make a scene.  Jeff's biological mother was known for histrionics and stupid choices.  I wasn't about to traumatize my sons any further.  I sang the Chariots of Fire song without accompaniment.  It was Jeff's favorite.  I held my composure.  The whole time I was speaking over the casket at the plot, I kept wondering if I was at the head or foot of the casket.  I kept thinking it would be embarrassing to be talking at his feet. 

I knew that the details the Chief of Police and his wing man Dean Axtell were terribly conflicting.  I decided to go to the police department and get Jeff's belongings and see the cell where Jeff died.  Bill and Thomas came with me as witnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment